Our websites and applications are not directed to children under 16 and we do not knowingly collect any personal information directly from children under 16. If you believe that we processing the personal information pertaining to a child inappropriately, we take this very seriously and urge you to contact us using the information provided under the “Contact Us” section below.
3. HOW WE USE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We may use, store, and process personal information to (1) provide, understand, improve, and develop the BeitiBeitak Platform, (2) create and maintain a trusted and safer environment (such as to comply with our legal obligations and ensure compliance with BeitiBeitak Policies) and (3) provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing.
3.1 Provide, Improve, and Develop the BeitiBeitak Platform. We may use the personal information to provide, improve, and develop the BeitiBeitak Platform such as to:
• enable you to access and use the BeitiBeitak Platform,
• enable you to communicate with other Members,
• operate, protect, improve, and optimize the BeitiBeitak Platform and experience, such as by performing analytics and conducting research,
• provide customer service,
• send you service or support messages, updates, security alerts, and account notifications,
• if you provide us with your contacts’ information, we may process this information: (i) to facilitate your referral invitations, (ii) send your requests for references, (iii) for fraud detection and prevention, and (iv) for any purpose you authorize at the time of collection,
• to operate, protect, improve, and optimize the BeitiBeitak Platform and experience, and personalize and customize your experience (such as making Listing suggestions, ranking search results), and facilitate claims with our Host Guarantee, Host Protection Insurance, Experience Protection Insurance or other similar host protection programs, we conduct profiling based on your interactions with the BeitiBeitak Platform, your search and booking history, your profile information and preferences, and other content you submit to the BeitiBeitak Platform, and
• enable your use of our enterprise products.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in improving the BeitiBeitak Platform and our Members’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you.
3.2 Create and Maintain a Trusted and Safer Environment. We may use the personal information to create and maintain a trusted and safer environment such as to:
• detect and prevent fraud, spam, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity,
• conduct security investigations and risk assessments,
• verify or authenticate information or identifications provided by you (such as to verify your Accommodation address or compare your identification photo to another photo you provide),
• conduct checks against databases and other information sources, including background or police checks, to the extent permitted by applicable laws and with your consent where required,
• comply with our legal obligations,
• Resolve any disputes with any of our Members and enforce our agreements with third parties,
• enforce our Terms of Service and other policies, and
• in connection with the activities above, we may conduct profiling based on your interactions with the BeitiBeitak Platform, your profile information and other content you submit to the BeitiBeitak Platform, and information obtained from third parties. In limited cases, automated processes may restrict or suspend access to the BeitiBeitak Platform if such processes detect activity that we think poses a safety or other risk to the BeitiBeitak Platform, our community, or third parties. If you challenge the decisioning based on the automated process, please contact us as provided in the Contact Us section below.
We process this personal information for these purposes given our legitimate interest in protecting the BeitiBeitak Platform, to measure the adequate performance of our contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws.
3.3 Provide, Personalize, Measure, and Improve our Advertising and Marketing. We may use the personal information to provide, personalize, measure, and improve our advertising and marketing such as to:
• send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences (including information about BeitiBeitak or partner campaigns and services) and social media advertising through social media platforms such as Facebook or Google),
• personalize, measure, and improve our advertising,
• Administer referral programs, rewards, surveys, sweepstakes, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by BeitiBeitak or its third party partners,
• conduct profiling on your characteristics and preferences (based on the information you provide to us, your interactions with the BeitiBeitak Platform, information obtained from third parties, and your search and booking history) to send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising and other information that we think may be of interest to you,
• enrolling in an email subscription will not affect the frequency of administrative emails that we may send in connection with any BeitiBeitak Account. No fee is charged for sending promotional emails to you, but third-party data rates may apply. Note that you may not be able to take advantage of certain promotions if you do not have an BeitiBeitak Account, and
• invite you to events and relevant opportunities (for example, when you share your Host story, we may use the information provided to reach out to you to invite you to relevant events).
We will process your personal information for the purposes listed in this section given our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be of your interest.
3.4 How the Payments Data Controller uses the Personal Information Collected. We may use the personal information as a part of Payment services such as to:
• Enable you to access and use the Payment Services.
• Detect and prevent fraud, abuse, security incidents, and other harmful activity.
• Conduct security investigations and risk assessments.
• Conduct checks against databases and other information sources.
• Comply with legal obligations (such as anti-money laundering regulations).
• Enforce the Payment Terms and other payment policies.
• With your consent, send you promotional messages, marketing, advertising, and other information that may be of interest to you based on your preferences.
The Payments Data Controller processes this personal information given its legitimate interest in improving the Payment Services and its users’ experience with it, and where it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you and to comply with applicable laws.
3.5 Your Choices
You have choices on the promotional messages that you choose to receive.
• You can limit the information you provide to BeitiBeitak. Participation in promotions and marketing programs is voluntary.
• You can limit the communications that BeitiBeitak sends to you.
• To opt-out of marketing emails, simply click the link labeled “unsubscribe” at the bottom of any marketing email we send you or access the notification settings in your BeitiBeitak Account.
• To revoke permissions that you may have given to send promotional text messages, text STOP in response to any message.
• You can always update your notification settings within your BeitiBeitak Account by visiting the Notifications section of your BeitiBeitak Account. Please note that even if you opt-out of marketing communications, we may still need to contact you with important transactional information about your account. For example, even if you opt-out of emails, we may still send you activity confirmations or fraud alerts.
4. SHARING & DISCLOSURE
4.1 Advertising and Social Media; Sharing With Your Consent.
Where you have provided consent, we share your information, including personal information, as described at the time of consent, such as when you authorize a third party application or website to access your BeitiBeitak Account or when you participate in promotional activities conducted by BeitiBeitak partners or third parties.
Where permissible according to applicable law we may use certain limited personal information about you, such as your email address, to hash it and to share it with social media platforms, such as Facebook or Google, to generate leads, drive traffic to our websites or otherwise promote our products and services or the BeitiBeitak Platform. These processing activities are based on our legitimate interest in undertaking marketing activities to offer you products or services that may be if your interest.
The social media platforms with which we may share your personal information are not controlled or supervised by BeitiBeitak. Therefore, any questions regarding how your social media platform service provider processes your personal information should be directed to such provider.
4.2 Sharing between Members.
To help facilitate bookings or other interactions between Members, we may need to share certain information, including personal information, with other Members, as it is necessary for the adequate performance of the contract between you and us, as follows:
• When you as a Guest submit a booking request, certain information about you is shared with the Host (and Co-Host, if applicable), including your profile, full name, the full name of any additional Guests, your cancellation history, and other information you agree to share. When your booking is confirmed, we will disclose additional information to assist with coordinating the trip, like your phone number.
• When you as a Host (or Co-Host, if applicable) have a confirmed booking, certain information is shared with the Guest (and the additional Guests they may invite, if applicable) to coordinate the booking, such as your profile, full name, phone number, and Accommodation or Experience address.
• When you as a Host invite another Member to become a Co-Host, you authorize the Co-Host to access and update your information and Member Content, including but not limited to certain information like your full name, phone number, Accommodation address, calendar, Listing information, Listing photos, and email address.
• When you as a Guest invite additional Guests to a booking, your full name, travel dates, Host name, Listing details, the Accommodation address, and other related information will be shared with each additional Guest.
• When you as a Guest initiate a Group Payment Booking Request certain information about each participant such as first name, last initial, profile picture as well as the booking details is shared among all participants of the Group Payment Booking Request.
We don’t share your billing and payout information with other Members.
4.3 Profiles, Listings, and other Public Information.
The BeitiBeitak Platform lets you publish information, including personal information, that is visible to the general public. For example:
• Parts of your public profile page, such as your first name, your description, and city, are publicly visible to others.
• Listing pages are publicly visible and include information such as the Accommodation or Experience’s approximate location (neighborhood and city) or precise location (where you have provided your consent), Listing description, calendar availability, your public profile photo, aggregated demand information (like page views over a period of time), and any additional information you choose to share.
• After completing a booking, Guests and Hosts may write Reviews and rate each other. Reviews and Ratings are a part of your public profile page and may also be surfaced elsewhere on the BeitiBeitak Platform (such as the Listing page).
• If you submit content in a community or discussion forum, blog or social media post, or use a similar feature on the BeitiBeitak Platform, that content is publicly visible.
Based on our legitimate interest to promote the BeitiBeitak Platform we may display parts of the BeitiBeitak Platform (e.g., your Listing page) on sites operated by BeitiBeitak’s business partners, using technologies such as widgets or APIs. If your Listings are displayed on a partner’s site, information from your public profile page may also be displayed.
Information you share publicly on the BeitiBeitak Platform may be indexed through third party search engines. In some cases, you may opt-out of this feature in your Account settings. If you change your settings or your public-facing content, these search engines may not update their databases. We do not control the practices of third party search engines, and they may use caches containing your outdated information.
4.4 Additional Services by Hosts.
Hosts may need to use third party services available through the BeitiBeitak Platform to assist with managing their Accommodation or providing additional services requested by you, such as cleaning services or lock providers. Hosts may use features on the BeitiBeitak Platform to share information about the Guest (like check-in and check-out dates, Guest name, Guest phone number) with such third party service providers for the purposes of coordinating the stay, managing the Accommodation, or providing other services. Hosts are responsible for third party service providers they use and ensuring those service providers process Guest information securely and in compliance with applicable law including data privacy and data protection laws.
4.5 Compliance with Law, Responding to Legal Requests, Preventing Harm and Protection of our Rights.
BeitiBeitak and BeitiBeitak Payments may disclose your information, including personal information, to courts, law enforcement, governmental authorities, tax authorities, or authorized third parties, if and to the extent we are required or permitted to do so by law or if such disclosure is reasonably necessary: (i) to comply with our legal obligations, (ii) to comply with legal process and to respond to claims asserted against BeitiBeitak, (iii) to respond to valid requests relating to a criminal investigation or alleged or suspected illegal activity or any other activity that may expose us, you, or any other of our users to legal liability, (iv) to enforce and administer our Terms of Service, the Payment Terms or other agreements with Members, or (v) to protect the rights, property or personal safety of BeitiBeitak, its employees, its Members, or members of the public. For example, Host tax information may be shared with tax authorities or other governmental agencies.
These disclosures may be necessary to comply with our legal obligations, for the protection of your or another person's vital interests or for the purposes of our or a third party’s legitimate interest in keeping the BeitiBeitak Platform secure, preventing harm or crime, enforcing or defending legal rights, facilitating the collection of taxes and prevention of tax fraud or preventing damage.
Where appropriate, we may notify Members about legal requests unless: (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law, or (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon BeitiBeitak’s property, its Members and the BeitiBeitak Platform. In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that Member about the request after the fact where appropriate and where we determine in good faith that we are no longer prevented from doing so.
4.6 Service Providers.
BeitiBeitak and BeitiBeitak Payments uses a variety of third-party service providers to help us provide services related to the BeitiBeitak Platform and the Payment Services. Service providers may be located inside or outside of the European Economic Area (“EEA”). In particular, our service providers are based in Lebanon, Europe, India, Asia Pacific and North and South America.
For example, service providers may help us: (i) verify your identity or authenticate your identification documents, (ii) check information against public databases, (iii) conduct background or police checks, fraud prevention, and risk assessment, (iv) perform product development, maintenance and debugging, (v) allow the provision of the BeitiBeitak Services through third party platforms and software tools (e.g. through the integration with our APIs), (vi) provide customer service, advertising, or payments services, or (vii) process, handle or assess insurance claims or other similar claims (such as claims under the BeitiBeitak Host Guarantee). These providers have limited access to your personal information to perform these tasks on our behalf, and are contractually bound to protect the personal information and only use the personal information in accordance with our instructions .
BeitiBeitak and the BeitiBeitak Payments will need to share your information, including personal information, in order to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you.
4.7 Corporate Affiliates.
To enable or support us in providing the BeitiBeitak Platform and the Payment Services, we may share your information, including personal information, within our corporate family of companies (both financial and non-financial entities) that are related by common ownership or control.
• Sharing with BeitiBeitak. Even if your country of residence is not Lebanon, your information may be shared with BeitiBeitak, Inc. which provides the technical infrastructure for the BeitiBeitak Platform, product development and maintenance, customer support, trust and safety and other business operation services to other BeitiBeitak entities. The data sharing is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us and is based on our legitimate interests in providing the BeitiBeitak Platform globally.
Additionally, we share your information, including personal information, with our corporate affiliates in order to support and integrate, promote, and to improve the BeitiBeitak Platform and our affiliates’ services.
4.8 Collection and Remittance of Occupancy Taxes.
In jurisdictions where BeitiBeitak facilitates the Collection and Remittance of Occupancy Taxes as described in the “Taxes” section of the Terms of Service, Hosts and Guests, where legally permissible according to applicable law, expressly grant us permission, without further notice, to disclose Hosts’ and Guests’ data and other information relating to them or to their transactions, bookings, Accommodations and Occupancy Taxes to the relevant tax authority, including, but not limited to, the Host’s or Guest’s name, Listing addresses, transaction dates and amounts, tax identification number(s), the amount of taxes received (or due) by Hosts from Guests, and contact information.
4.9 Government Registration.
In jurisdictions where BeitiBeitak facilitates or requires a registration, notification, permit, or license application of a Host with a local governmental authority through the BeitiBeitak Platform in accordance with local law, we may share information of participating Hosts with the relevant authority, both during the application process and, if applicable, periodically thereafter, such as the Host’s full name and contact details, Accommodation address, tax identification number, Listing details, and number of nights booked.
4.10 Programs with Managers and Owners.
We may share personal information and booking information with landlords, management companies, and/or property owners in order to facilitate programs with these partners. For example, guest booking and personal information may be shared with owners and property managers of the building, complex, or planned community where a host lives and/or the listing is to facilitate hosting services, security, billing, and other services that may be provided.
4.11 Business Transfers.
4.12 Aggregated Data.
We may also share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other anonymized information for regulatory compliance, industry and market analysis, research, demographic profiling, marketing and advertising, and other business purposes.
5. OTHER IMPORTANT INFORMATION
5.1 Analyzing your Communications.
We may review, scan, or analyze your communications on the BeitiBeitak Platform for fraud prevention, risk assessment, regulatory compliance, investigation, product development, research, analytics, and customer support purposes. For example, as part of our fraud prevention efforts, we scan and analyze messages to mask contact information and references to other websites. In some cases, we may also scan, review, or analyze messages to debug, improve, and expand product offerings. We use automated methods where reasonably possible. However, occasionally we may need to manually review some communications, such as for fraud investigations and customer support, or to assess and improve the functionality of these automated tools. We will not review, scan, or analyze your messaging communications to send third party marketing messages to you, and we will not sell reviews or analyses of these communications.
These activities are carried out based on BeitiBeitak's legitimate interest in ensuring compliance with applicable laws and our Terms, preventing fraud, promoting safety, and improving and ensuring the adequate performance of our services.
5.2 Linking Third Party Accounts.
You may link your BeitiBeitak Account with your account at a third party social networking service. Your contacts on these third party services are referred to as “Friends.” When you create this link:
• some of the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be published on your BeitiBeitak Account profile;
• your activities on the BeitiBeitak Platform may be displayed to your Friends on the BeitiBeitak Platform and/or that third party site;
• a link to your public profile on that third party social networking service may be included in your BeitiBeitak public profile;
• other BeitiBeitak users may be able to see any common Friends that you may have with them, or that you are a Friend of their Friend if applicable;
• other BeitiBeitak users may be able to see any schools, hometowns or other groups you have in common with them as listed on your linked social networking service;
• the information you provide to us from the linking of your accounts may be stored, processed and transmitted for fraud prevention and risk assessment purposes; and
• the publication and display of information that you provide to BeitiBeitak through this linkage is subject to your settings and authorizations on the BeitiBeitak Platform and the third party site.
We only collect your information from linked third party accounts to the extent necessary to ensure the adequate performance of our contract with you, or to ensure that we comply with applicable laws, or with your consent.
5.3 Third Party Partners & Integrations
The BeitiBeitak Platform may contain links to third party websites or services, such as third party integrations, co-branded services, or third party-branded services (“Third Party Partners”). BeitiBeitak doesn’t own or control these Third Party Partners and when you interact with them, you may be providing information directly to the Third Party Partner, BeitiBeitak, or both. These Third Party Partners will have their own rules about the collection, use, and disclosure of information. We encourage you to review the privacy policies of the other websites you visit.
6. YOUR RIGHTS
You may exercise any of the rights described in this section before your applicable BeitiBeitak Data Controller and Payments Data Controller by contacting us. Please note that we may ask you to verify your identity and request before taking further action on your request.
6.1 Managing Your Information.
You may access and update some of your information through your Account settings. If you have chosen to connect your BeitiBeitak Account to a third-party application, like Facebook or Google, you can change your settings and remove permission for the app by changing your Account settings. You are responsible for keeping your personal information up-to-date.
6.2 Rectification of Inaccurate or Incomplete Information.
You have the right to ask us to correct inaccurate or incomplete personal information about you (and which you cannot update yourself within your BeitiBeitak Account).
6.3 Data Access and Portability.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to request copies of your personal information held by us. You may also be entitled to request copies of personal information that you have provided to us in a structured, commonly used, and machine-readable format and/or request us to transmit this information to another service provider (where technically feasible).
6.4 Data Retention and Erasure.
We generally retain your personal information for as long as is necessary for the performance of the contract between you and us and to comply with our legal obligations. In certain jurisdictions, you can request to have all your personal information deleted entirely." Please note that if you request the erasure of your personal information:
• We may retain some of your personal information as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety. For example, if we suspend an BeitiBeitak Account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain certain information from that BeitiBeitak Account to prevent that Member from opening a new BeitiBeitak Account in the future.
• We may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations. For example, BeitiBeitak and BeitiBeitak Payments may keep some of your information for tax, legal reporting and auditing obligations.
• Information you have shared with others (e.g., Reviews, forum postings) may continue to be publicly visible on the BeitiBeitak Platform, even after your BeitiBeitak Account is cancelled. However, attribution of such information to you will be removed. Additionally, some copies of your information (e.g., log records) may remain in our database, but are disassociated from personal identifiers.
• Because we maintain the BeitiBeitak Platform to protect from accidental or malicious loss and destruction, residual copies of your personal information may not be removed from our backup systems for a limited period of time.
6.5 Withdrawing Consent and Restriction of Processing.
If we are processing your personal information based on your consent you may withdraw your consent at any time by changing your Account settings or by sending a communication to BeitiBeitak specifying which consent you are withdrawing. Please note that the withdrawal of your consent does not affect the lawfulness of any processing activities based on such consent before its withdrawal. Additionally, in some jurisdictions, applicable law may give you the right to limit the ways in which we use your personal information, in particular where (i) you contest the accuracy of your personal information; (ii) the processing is unlawful and you oppose the erasure of your personal information; (iii) we no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing, but you require the information for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims; or (iv) you have objected to the processing pursuant to Section 6.6 and pending the verification whether the legitimate grounds of BeitiBeitak override your own.
6.6 Objection to Processing.
In some jurisdictions, applicable law may entitle you to require BeitiBeitak and BeitiBeitak Payments not to process your personal information for certain specific purposes (including profiling) where such processing is based on legitimate interest. If you object to such processing BeitiBeitak and/or BeitiBeitak Payments will no longer process your personal information for these purposes unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for such processing or such processing is required for the establishment, exercise or defence of legal claims.
6.7 Lodging Complaints.
You have the right to lodge complaints about our data processing activities by filing a complaint with our Data Protection Officer who can be reached by the “Contact Us” section below or with a supervisory authority.
7. OPERATING GLOBALLY & INTERNATIONAL TRANSFERS
We are continuously implementing and updating administrative, technical, and physical security measures to help protect your information against unauthorized access, loss, destruction, or alteration. Some of the safeguards we use to protect your information are firewalls and data encryption, and information access controls. If you know or have reason to believe that your BeitiBeitak Account credentials have been lost, stolen, misappropriated, or otherwise compromised or in case of any actual or suspected unauthorized use of your BeitiBeitak Account, please contact us following the instructions in the Contact Us section below.
10. CONTACT US